Saturday 26 March 2011

Sheep and Goats


Did you know that there are alot of similarities between sheep and goats? I find that interesting in the light of the parable that Jesus gave us about the separating of sheep and goats:

Mat 25:31  When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
Mat 25:32  And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
Mat 25:33  And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Mat 25:34  Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Mat 25:35  For I was hungry, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Mat 25:36  Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Mat 25:37  Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
Mat 25:38  When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Mat 25:39  Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
Mat 25:40  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Mat 25:41  Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
Mat 25:42  For I was hungry, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
Mat 25:43  I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
Mat 25:44  Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
Mat 25:45  Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
Mat 25:46  And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal. 

Do you notice what Jesus does here? The sheep come from a place of credit where anything they do is added to them. The goats come from a place of debit where the moment they fail to do the right thing, they have failed altogether and hopelessly so.

What can we learn from what these animals are like?

There's alot of info here about sheep and goats. One of the main differences is what they eat. Goats can eat just about anything and not get sick. If sheep eat the wrong things, they get diarrhea and it sticks to their wool, which can cause them further problems if the shepherd doesn't take care of his sheep properly. The link says sheep have tear glands, but doesn't say the same for goats..see also 

Goats are more independent while sheep get uncomfortable if they get separated from their group. 


Most sheep don't have horns like goats do....but some do


Rev 13:11  And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.


Hmmm looks like a sheep, with two horns, and speaks like a dragon. What does a dragon speak like?

Dan 11:21  And in his estate shall stand up a vile person, to whom they shall not give the honor of the kingdom: but he shall come in peaceably, and obtain the kingdom by flatteries.
Dan 11:22  And with the arms of a flood shall they be overflown from before him, and shall be broken; yea, also the prince of the covenant.
Dan 11:23  And after the league made with him he shall work deceitfully: for he shall come up, and shall become strong with a small people.

He will tell people what they want to hear. He will appeal to people's fleshy desires.

Jesus knows what His sheep really need, and it isn't flattering...but He loves us so what He does for us is out of a gracious and loving heart.

Pe 5:2  Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
1Pe 5:3  Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being examples to the flock.
1Pe 5:4  And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

7 comments:

  1. Here is something interesting we saw when teaching Sunday school last week about the passover:

    Exd 12:5 Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take [it] out from the sheep, or from the goats:


    Take from the sheep OR the goats? I wonder what that is all about?

    Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ma,

    That is peculiar, I never noticed that before... I just looked at the Strong's links to those words which didn't really offer me any help or clues on it:

    sheep:
    keh-bes'
    From an unused root meaning to dominate; a ram (just old enough to butt): - lamb, sheep.

    goats:
    aze
    From H5810; a she goat (as strong), but masculine in plural (which also is used elliptically for goats' hair): - (she) goat, kid.

    I wonder if it has anything to do with the scapegoat? That has always been a confusing thing for me...some people say the scapegoat is Jesus, and some say it is satan...? I'll try to find out more about it and make a post on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I checked out Strong's too, but like you said, not much help.

    I JUST heard something about the scapegoat thing the other day, I'll try to conjure it back up.

    Now you have work to do! (the scapegoat post) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post,and very thought provoking,I am following your blog,you are welcome to follow mine as well. I found your blog,thru ma's blog Blessings jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jane,

    Thank you, I will visit your blog too. Ma has so many links, and 6 little ones that she home schools....how does she do it???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not think you should believe everything you read or hear about sheep vs goats. Further, I do not think you should steal photographs from someone else's website.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi "Anonymous",

    you said: "I do not think you should believe everything you read or hear about sheep vs goats..."

    I hope you will elaborate on your thoughts about that.

    and you said: "Further, I do not think you should steal photographs from someone else's website. "

    I didn't realize I was "stealing" ... if there is an image you wish removed, I will be happy to do so ;-) There are ways to encrypt your images if you do not like other people using them that will protect your images from appearing elsewhere, if that is a concern for you.
    Peace be unto you.

    ReplyDelete


Please be as gracious as you would like others to be to you. Thank you :)




Please try to keep your comments on the topic of the post you are commenting on.

If there is a link to an article or podcast, or if there is an embedded video please view these before airing your views on the posting. If you clearly did not watch video/read link I may choose to not respond to it ...particularly if you have a question that is already answered on link or video.

Opposing viewpoints are of course allowed here as long as the conversation remains civil. If it runs on and on and becomes burdensome and repetitive I will probably lock the comments on that posting. Thank you, I hope we can grow together in a true friendship as God would have it. 🙂