Thursday 25 August 2011

Back to School




I started my history of western civilization class this week. My instructor, for one of our assignments, gave us this:

http://eawc.evansville.edu/essays/brown.htm

We are to write our thoughts about Gilgamesh, an ancient ruler who ruled ancient Mesopotamia. But who was Gilgamesh? Is it possible that he was Nimrod? Are there any clues? Most Biblical scholars believe that Gilgamesh was indeed who most of us now know as Nimrod. Here's why (really cool Bible encyclopedia website):


http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/nimrod.html

******************************Edit to add  links***********************

This first link has information about the ancient dead language they call Akkadian, which is what the Epic of Gilgamesh was translated from:

http://epos.wordpress.com/epic-poetry-lessons/lesson-3-literary-introduction-to-gilgamesh/

And this second link has 11 parts of the 12 of the Epic of Gilgamesh as it was translated into English:

http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/gilgamesh.htm

and another online encyclopedia that has more info on Gilgamesh and ancient times:

http://www.ancient.eu.com/article/192/


********************************End of edit****************************

4 comments:

  1. I love history and Biblical history is my fav! Thanks for sharing these links I will be doing some studying. :)

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Child of God :) I love history too. I didn't when I was a child, though. But it's weird because as a child I loved the idea of being an archaeologist and digging up ancient treasures. But now it's like a detective investigation looking for clues, and seeing how we got to where we are in the world timeline today.

    I'll post more history stuff and links as I find them, as I'm sure more digging during the next 8 weeks will uncover more online treasures. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting! Let us know what you find out:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found another site that tells about the translating of the Epic of Gilgamesh, and also found the entire Epic of Gilgamesh (except for the 12th part, they explain why at the site) I'm going to edit the original post to include these links. They are incredible!

    ReplyDelete


Please be as gracious as you would like others to be to you. Thank you :)




Please try to keep your comments on the topic of the post you are commenting on.

If there is a link to an article or podcast, or if there is an embedded video please view these before airing your views on the posting. If you clearly did not watch video/read link I may choose to not respond to it ...particularly if you have a question that is already answered on link or video.

Opposing viewpoints are of course allowed here as long as the conversation remains civil. If it runs on and on and becomes burdensome and repetitive I will probably lock the comments on that posting. Thank you, I hope we can grow together in a true friendship as God would have it. 🙂