Sunday 16 June 2013

Kirk Cameron

I like Kirk Cameron. I think his heart is in the right place, he wants to share the truth, to tell people about sin, and Jesus, and the Bible, and etc...


and he is bold in standing up for calling sin wrong, and that God hates sin, but that God forgives


but Kirk is a human being, and his focus (I believe) is a bit off...he thinks we can turn things around:


....and indeed the Bible does say

2Ch 7:13  If I shut up heaven that there be no rain, or if I command the locusts to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among my people;
2Ch 7:14  If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.




...and the Lord saved the Ninevites when they heard the words from Jonah after all, didn't He? Yes, that is true. I don't fault Kirk for desiring that at all, but we need to beware of becoming a theocracy, like that which Constantine and Charlemagne brought about. Perhaps they too had noble things in mind when they set up enforced Christianization, and I tend to think that as a result there were people who did honestly come to Jesus during that time, perhaps even as a result of what Constantine or Charlemagne did, just as perhaps there were Jews who became saved during their tribulations by Nazis. And also we are, as Kirk mentions, at a point where the corruption of our nation may succumb (as history has shown us through this cycle showing up again and again) to a very corrupt and evil tyrant who will inflict persecution so terrible that we will wish that we could have turned it from such an outcome. True. But there will come a time where all of this will culminate into a time of trouble such as the world has never seen, and it will happen, Jesus said so. I personally think to say "Oh God forbid it! Let it not be so!!" would repeat the error of Peter when He told Jesus the same when Jesus warned them of His impending doom (Matthew 16:23)

Our focus is not this world. We are ambassadors of a world that is yet to come. Our focus is Jesus, and what He has done, and that we are not of this world, but are in this world to be that light in a dark place, Jesus said He was eventually going to destroy this one and make a new heaven and new earth because this would ALL pass away.

However, I am glad that Kirk speaks up his mind and tells the truth, albeit imperfectly (and who does it perfectly anyway? I love John MacArthur yet there are points that I disagree with him as well, but I'm glad that he preaches God's word) and all the while, we need to watch and pray, and ourselves speak when the Holy Spirit gives us the utterance, to be salt and light in a dark world, as a testimony to the truth of who we are in Christ, and do it gladly out of our thanksgiving, and do it for His sake.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,
    I love Kirk Cameron as well.
    I agree with you that Kirk and John are only human and their viewpoint is from a human view. I agree with them and know what they say line up with Scripture but nothing can ever take the place of Scripture itself.

    Bereans, that is what we need to be.

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we need to stay vigilant always, and to speak whenever the Lord gives us an unction about giving warning, or encouragement, or a hug, whatever is appropriate for the situation. Sometimes harsh words need to be said, in a spirit of loving rebuke, if we might so save some from the fire! But the Lord has the final say on these things of whom will be chosen and whom will be cast out, yet He has us be His ambassadors, to be light and salt as each occasion calls for. :)

      Delete


Please be as gracious as you would like others to be to you. Thank you :)




Please try to keep your comments on the topic of the post you are commenting on.

If there is a link to an article or podcast, or if there is an embedded video please view these before airing your views on the posting. If you clearly did not watch video/read link I may choose to not respond to it ...particularly if you have a question that is already answered on link or video.

Opposing viewpoints are of course allowed here as long as the conversation remains civil. If it runs on and on and becomes burdensome and repetitive I will probably lock the comments on that posting. Thank you, I hope we can grow together in a true friendship as God would have it. 🙂