Monday 9 December 2013

What of Christmas?

As a teenager my father "got religion", and his religion of choice was Seventh day Adventism. We were taught that Christmas had Roman Catholic beginnings which were rooted in paganism, and for proof we were taught that the passage in Jeremiah chapter 10 referred to the Christmas tree. Perhaps, perhaps not. It may be referring to how they carved wooden statues of their "gods" and "goddesses" even then, and that they decked them with gold and silver, much like Roman Catholics adorn statues of Mary today.

Last Sunday our pastor talked about his run ins with legalism regarding the Christmas holiday and it's pagan roots, and they seemed to be similar to the kinds of difficulties I had encountered regarding "dos and don'ts" of our worldly involvements. He summed his final thoughts about the subject in a way that I find consistent with the bottom line that the Apostle Paul gives. We shouldn't use our freedom for an occasion to sin, or to trouble our weaker brothers, however, this season can bring some people who otherwise might never think about Jesus, to contemplate the amazing fact that God came to earth to be adorned in flesh, to live like us and among us, to reveal Himself to us. Pastor Clark cautioned us to not "throw out the baby (Jesus) with the bath water". Pastor Clark told us: "I have no use for Christmas trees or Santa Clause, but I love every opportunity to tell others about Jesus". Amen, pastor, amen. :)

2 comments:

  1. I really studied this topic, and the Jeremiah verses are what changed me completely. Not the one about the tree but Jer. 10:2...learn not the way of the heathen. Ouch. That really got me, because no matter how I try and separate the reason for Christmas, the roots are really not of God. I watched a show on the history channel that took Christmas back to the beginning and I was a bit ashamed. Now mind you, I loved Christmas. After I became a Christian I worked hard to make it about Jesus.

    Then we did a study on the commandments and I realized that God is a jealous God. This would be an area that would be of concern, changing the birthdate, celebrating anyway and then saying it was for Him. I confess I am not trying to convince you.

    I worked through this myself...with the narrow gate always in my mind along with Matthew 7:22-23 Many will say to me in that day Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then I will profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

    I wondered long and hard about those verses. I do not wish to find out that I was working iniquity(sin) while I thought I was serving HIm. So what is sin? Not keeping His commandments. He is a jealous God. Keeping a day that would make a natural man jealous really struck me...as God is ALL. Why would I expect less? Or make Him appreciate that I was doing it for HIm?

    Anyhow, I appreciate your thoughts, and pray you do not see mine as judgmental. I am delving deep in the scriptures because I want to always err on the side of Him and not of man.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer,

      I still wiggle back and forth on this a bit, but in the end i is all about Jesus, and He didn't tell us the actual day of His birth, so conjecture can go all directions, lol...but I know what you are saying. If it doesn't honor Jesus, don't do it, is my bottom line. ;-)

      Delete


Please be as gracious as you would like others to be to you. Thank you :)




Please try to keep your comments on the topic of the post you are commenting on.

If there is a link to an article or podcast, or if there is an embedded video please view these before airing your views on the posting. If you clearly did not watch video/read link I may choose to not respond to it ...particularly if you have a question that is already answered on link or video.

Opposing viewpoints are of course allowed here as long as the conversation remains civil. If it runs on and on and becomes burdensome and repetitive I will probably lock the comments on that posting. Thank you, I hope we can grow together in a true friendship as God would have it. 🙂