Wednesday 2 March 2016

Spotting a Counterfeit Part 4



Part One began with the how of spotting a counterfeit. The best way is to get to know the genuine really well. Parts 2, 3, and now 4, are more about my going out of my way to involve myself in arguments over topics that believers can and do disagree over, that may or may not be important enough to win an argument about....a few words from the Apostle Paul:


Titus 3:9-11  
But avoid 
foolish
and genealogies,
and contentions, 
and strivings about the law; 
for they are unprofitable  
and vain. 
A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;   
Knowing that he that is such is subverted, 
and sinneth, 
being condemned of himself. 

My going round and round arguing over the law or " what came first, the chicken or the egg" types of discussions are not only a waste of time, they can be damaging.  Even if it is in the hopes of converting a "heretic", Paul advised to only attempt admonishing the person once or twice and then to let it go. My husband rightly pointed out to me that (just as the above verses reveal) I continued arguing only to prove being right out of pride and vanity. If it is an important thing for that person, the Lord will bring it in His time, His way. There is nothing to gain in arguing about it, Paul said it is unprofitable.

I agree.

1Corinthians 2:1-4 
And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.  And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.   And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power




No comments:

Post a Comment


Please be as gracious as you would like others to be to you. Thank you :)




Please try to keep your comments on the topic of the post you are commenting on.

If there is a link to an article or podcast, or if there is an embedded video please view these before airing your views on the posting. If you clearly did not watch video/read link I may choose to not respond to it ...particularly if you have a question that is already answered on link or video.

Opposing viewpoints are of course allowed here as long as the conversation remains civil. If it runs on and on and becomes burdensome and repetitive I will probably lock the comments on that posting. Thank you, I hope we can grow together in a true friendship as God would have it. 🙂